Monday, February 8, 2010

Who Dat!!!


In 1967, my Dad and Grandfather went to the Old Tulane Football Stadium to witness the very first New Orleans Saints football game. The opening kickoff was returned for a touchdown and the stands went crazy...for the next 30 years though that was the only Saints highlight.
I was raised watching Saints football...my friends were all raised Cowboys fans whereas I was raised with two favorite teams...the Saints and whoever was playing the Cowboys that particular Sunday. I saw the fans wearing the bags on the head...I heard the boo birds...I heard references to the 'aints! But they were still my team...through the good and the bad.
Last night the cups of my cajun heritage, kinship to South, LA and family sufferage with Saints were overflowing. As Tom Benson hoisted the Lombardi trophy and said, "This proves that Lousiana is back!" I have to admit my heart strings tugged a bit.
You may not understand "Who Dat!" and that is ok...I dont understand whoo pig sooie either but Who Dat is a New Orleans thing and it is what it is. The Saints went marching in and won the game....they slew the Colts...they are the World Champion New Orleans Saints and no body can take that away from them.
Who Dat! Who Dat! Who Dat say de gonna beat dem Saints! Who Dat! Who Dat!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats. Bro. I can understand your joy after so, so many years of frustration. (But then you had to "go hatin'" on the Cowboys)

    God bless the wonderful city of New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been a great moment for ya my friend. Congrats. I am with ya on the "whoo pig sooie". But I'M like Brother Neal. Why you gotta go hatin the Boys. I mean they are still America's team right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete